So you think Facebook sucks, and you don’t like how everything in the web is connected you your Facebook account, like your Spotify? Here’s how to solve at least this problem.
There are two possibilities how your Spotify account is potentially connected to Facebook:
- It is a “normal” e-mail based account and it is just linked to Facebook.
- It is a Facebook based account, meaning the whole account was created based on your Facebook identity.
Getting rid of option 1) is quite easy, while 2) is a bit more complicated. See here how to solve both issues.
Unlink your Spotify account from Facebook
For case 1) as stated above:
- Open the Spotify desktop app.
- In the top-right corner, click , then Settings.
- Under Social, click DISCONNECT FROM FACEBOOK.
Transfer to a non-Facebook account
If your account is based on your Facebook identity (case 2) there is no straight forward way to switch that account to a “normal” one. You will have to create a new account. Sounds worse than it is, as your playlists and such can be transferred. Do the following:
- Create a fresh new Spotify account. The email address for that cannot be the same one you use with your existing account. With some email providers like Googlemail, you have the option to modify your address by adding special characters before the @ or using an alternative domain, eg. firstname.lastname@example.org is the same like email@example.com . This will do the trick.
- Open up a support ticket with Spotify via the contact form: https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/
- Ask them to transfer your old to your new account. This will move friends, playlists, your saved songs and basically everything which is relevant. Your payment subscription will not be moved! Give them the email addresses of both accounts.
- Wait 2-3 days.
- Sometime in between, cancel the subscription of your old account and get a new one for your new account.
- If everything has been transferred, reach out to support once more and ask them to delete your old account.
- You’re done!
I ran through this process in the last days. I had some issues with the transfer of my library/saved songs, but Spotifys support was always very prompt and helpful and after starting the transfer once more, all went well.